garnome 0.21.2 font issue

Hi all,

I'm a new GARNOMEr, but have been using GNOME2 via Ximian snapshots for
a number of months.

I just built GARNOME and have a small issue.

Anti-aliased fonts are working in some situations, but not all.  I
honestly don't fully understand the relationship between Xft,
fontconfig, etc., so I thought that I'd e-mail here with some data in
the hopes that someone has an idea.

Here's what I'm seeing: I have an Xft-enabled build of Phoenix 0.5 (web
browser).  If I start up the "old" GNOME2 desktop (that is, recent
snapshots), then Phoenix has anti-aliased fonts.  Under GARNOME, Phoenix
has anti-aliased fonts for the rendered page, but the *menus* do not.

Anyone know what controls this?  Maybe I need to rebuild phoenix against
the Garnome distribution, but I figured that shared libraries would deal
with that.

One bit of information:

doing 'strace -eopen -ff' on phoenix shows that while it opens the
fontconfig.so library from the Garnome distribution, it still reads
fonts.conf from /etc/fonts instead of from Garnome.  I tried using the
FONTCONFIG_PATH variable, but this didn't help.

Regards,
Neil