OT: Adding things to the nautilus desktop.

This really is off-topic. :)

I've been looking and looking for a way to add .desktop (icons) to the
default Gnome2 desktop, so that when a user logs in for the first time
they have the usual "home", "Start here", "Trash", plus another
default that would be nice to have for users here.

Any ideas?

If possible, gear the explanation to RedHat8, but any distribution should
be fairly close to what I'm looking for.

Barring something simple as a solution for this, maybe there's a way to
easily add an icon to the top-level gnome menu?

Thanks,
--Pat