Re: Is there any way to finish a partly completed download?

Victor Rafael Rivarola <vrrivaro cmm com py> writes:
> It seems that wget timed out (in all of its retries!) during
> the glib's download!

Depending on your connection, you might want to remove '-T 10'
parameter to the wget command in gar.lib.mk (it appears once for HTTP
related URLs, and once for FTP URLs, so be sure to change both).

> I tried to repeat the "make install" step, figuring it will just
> continue, but not a chance.  I can attach a compressed bzip2 file of the
> transcript of any such attempt upon request. The installer simply
> fails, instead of reying to continue de incomplete files.

If the above doesn't help, the best thing you might do is to try to
continue downloads by hand. Eg. do:

(cd garnome-0.28.3/gnome/glib/download/partial && \
 wget -c http://ftp.gnome.org/pub/GNOME/sources/glib/2.3/glib-2.3.1.tar.bz2 )

That should continue the download. If it doesn't, it probably means
that you're behind a firewall and transparent proxy which doesn't
support HTTP Accept-Range, so you might try with FTP instead:

(cd garnome-0.28.3/gnome/glib/download/partial && \
 wget -c ftp://ftp.gnome.org/pub/GNOME/sources/glib/2.3/glib-2.3.1.tar.bz2 )

Of course, there're some prerequisites for this too, so that may fail
as well. If that happens, then you're pretty much screwed -- your
provider (which is, as you say, charging you by the MB) is not
allowing continuing downloads.

If any of these work, than '-T 10' is the most likely culprit, and I
suggest that you remove it.

In any case, I suggest that you first download entire "GARCHIVE"
before doing the compilation step. GARCHIVE is sort of repository of
all the downloaded tarballs, and all you need to do is to set
GARCHIVEDIR in gar.conf.mk to your favourite directory, and run
(cd meta/gnome-desktop && make deep-garchive)

I strongly recommend against doing "make" in toplevel directory if
you're being charged by the MB, because that would download you a
whole lot of stuff you won't ever need.

> Once I am at this question, can I keep my garnome updated by
> downloading only the patches rather than the whole sources? This would
> also be a modification I am willing to make, if nobody has done it
> before and you could tell me how to start.

I'd suggest that you try building from CVS if that's what you're
looking for.  With CVS, you actually download only patches between
your downloaded tree and current tree, so that will probably save
you some bandwidth.

There are jhbuild and cvsgnome which allow building from CVS, with
jhbuild perhaps being more widespread.

HTH,
Danilo