Re: gnome2

you can chmod o+rx /root, that should solve your problems... you basically
just need to make sure everyone has read access to the files (as far as I
know).

if you want GNOME2 to be available to all users and you don't want it in
/root, you're probably better off putting in in /opt/garnome or
/usr/local/garnome rather than just a different user's home directory.

Sean