Gnome 2 menu items not appearing in menu

Hi list,

Since installing garnome 0.17.1 at work an 0.18.0 at home I've been
unable to see any gnome 2 applications in the menu of the menu-panel (or
in 'applications:///' in nautilus for that matter). I only see the old
gnome 1 applications, red hat stuff etc.

So, for instance, 'preferences:///' show all the expected desktop
preferences but 'applications:///Preferences' does not.

How do I get my menu items back?

(running red hat 7.3)

regards,
/Bjarke