GTK2 Themes

This has been driving me mad for a while now.

I want to apply themes to GTK2 apps (in particular pan).  Within
Garnome0.12, no problem.  However, when I log in to kde, none of the
GTK2 apps that I launch from the garnome directory have GTK2 themes
applied.

What file governs the theme applied to gtk2 apps, and why does it only
work when I'm logged into garnome?  Gtk1.2 themes applied in Gnome1.4
apply in kde.  Why not Gtk2 themes?

I can't find anything in google to help.

Any pointers?

---------
Regards

Matt