Re: [gamin] Re: Building gamin 0.1.6

On 10/25/05, John McCutchan <ttb tentacle dhs org> wrote:

<snip>

> Inotify isn't being used for your home directory. What FS type is it?

ext3 via nfs, I dont think that I did anything that overly touched
/home/mark during the original log and have made nautilus poke around
in there a bit to get some better info on /home/mark see
http://homepages.paradise.net.nz/markcare/linux/gamin/2/new-gam-client-debug.log
and http://homepages.paradise.net.nz/markcare/linux/gamin/2/new-gam-server-test.log
if that helps any.

<snip>

> The above looks like a good run of gam_server.

<snip>

> So when you are running gamin with debug option on, you don't get this
> error?

Correct, and with inofity backend enabled I dont have any file
alteration monitoring working in both DEBUG and non-DEBUG mode. The
dnotify backend works.

<snip>

> From what I can tell, the error isn't directly related to inotify. When
> inotify is enabled, a different poll backend is used for directories
> that we don't want to use inotify on. My hunch is that the error is in
> there.

Ok I am open to trying anything you sugest to provide any information
to help corner the bug.

> Could you narrow down which application is receiving the fam errors? The
> errors in the X log are from FAM clients (I think).

The only FAM clients that I am running are gnome-vfs-2.12.1.1 and
nautilus-2.12.1 as part of Gnome 2.12.1 (GARNOME)

> What filesystems are you using ? Inotify isn't being used for anything
> inside your home directory, so inotify is basically watching some system
> files (like /etc/mtab).

$ cat /etc/mtab
/dev/hda9 / ext3 rw 0 0
proc /proc proc rw 0 0
sysfs /sys sysfs rw 0 0
/dev/hda6 /boot ext3 rw 0 0
/dev/hda10 /tmp ext3 rw 0 0
/dev/hda11 /var ext3 rw 0 0
devpts /dev/pts devpts rw,gid=4,mode=620 0 0
shm /dev/shm tmpfs rw 0 0
usbfs /proc/bus/usb usbfs rw,devgid=14,devmode=0660 0 0
192.168.10.254:/home /home nfs
rw,_netdev,rsize=8192,wsize=8192,addr=192.168.10.254 0 0
/dev/sda /media/usbdisk vfat rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev,user=mark 0 0

Hope this helps, let us know if you need anything more.

Regards,

Mark Carey