[gamin] Question on locked mountpoint problem

Hello,

Do I understand correctly that when gamin is using inotify inside a mountpoint
it always prevents umounting whereas when it's using polling this is never
(?) a problem?

I skimmed the kernel's inotify.c source file and it looked like there was one
syscall to register a process to receive events on an inode. This apparently
makes the mountpoint the inode is in unumountable because some reference
count is incremented, right?

My question is, why doesn't the kernel provide an interface to watch inodes
without "locking" them like that. Why couldn't it send "this inode went away"
events when an fs is umounted?

Regards,
Martin Pärtel