Re: [gamin] Re: [Patch 0.0.10] Cleanup ENABLE_DNOTIFY and HAVE_LINUX and fix build error [u]

On Thu, 2004-09-23 at 19:17 -0400, Daniel Veillard wrote:

> > to do it. So if you are interested in working on it that would be
> > wicked! I can answer any questions you have about inotify.
>
>   inotify relies on kernel support, this can be checked at runtime
> I think one of the best thing to do to get more inotify testing is to
> get rid of the inotify configure option, always compile it in and make
> its init routine check at runtime, if not present then use dnotify.
> That way it's only a kernel option, and users/testers are quite more
> familiar to installing and booting a new kernel than replacing a
> component of their infrastructure after having recompiled it with a different
> option.

Will work for me - then I can drop some magic I have to do.  Possible
problem though, is that you need inotify.h.  One solution is to check
if we can include it, but seeing that many out there will not have
it in /usr/include/linux, and using current kernel sources have sticky
issues, I do not know if that is such a good idea.  The other possible
solution is to ship our own, and use that if it is not
in /usr/include ... ?  Then you can enable it for the same checks as
dnotify.

--
Martin Schlemmer
Gentoo Linux Developer, Desktop/System Team Developer