Re: [gamin] gamin (inotify?) and KDE issue

On Sat, 18 Sep 2004, Daniel Veillard wrote:

> On Sat, Sep 18, 2004 at 03:18:56AM -0500, Stephen Anderson wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I'm testing gamin with the inotify backed end of 2.6.8.1 using inotify
> > 0.0.9.2.  I'm using KDE 3.3 which was previously using FAM.
>
>   if using the dnotify back-end there is a problem in the sense that
> if you are monitoring a directory, that the directory is empty and
> unlinked, you do not get a dnotify event. this is one more dnotify_sucks++
> reason, the solutions would be to either:
>    - switch empty directories to polling, which sucks because monitoring
>      an empty dir might be relatively common and generating burden for
>      something which does not change is bad
>    - use dnotify on the parent directory to check the removal, but
>      if the parent directory is fully populated (for example if you
>      want to survey a directory under the user home or under /tmp)
>      then all changes can generate a lot of dnotify event or force to
>      consume a lot of CPU time to check the parent dir list.
> I'm still unsure what's the worse solution in general, so I didn't
> yet implemented a fix for this limitation in gamin yet.
> The inotify back-end might work better on this and if possible be fixed
> to catch that.

Hi Daniel,

I'm feeling kind of slow.  I've read your email three times and I just
can't figure out how what you're describing relates to the irregular
behavior that I'm seeing.

1) FAM (using dnotify) does not exhibit this oddity (is FAM polling?).
2) I am using GAMIN with the inotify back end enabled.
3) I have two (or more) non-empty directories (src, pkg) in a nonempty
directory.
4) I am watching said non empty directory with non empty subdirs in
Konqueror.
4) rm -r on a directory results in a Konqueror update every other time.

I'm not sure what this odd behaviour has to do with dnotify since I am
using inotify.  I'm also not sure what the empty dirs is about since the
first test is with non-empty directories.

Were you trying to tell me that dnotify has this problem with empty
directories, so you designed gamin to have this problem even when using
inotify and on non-empty directories?

Sorry if I've completely missed your point.

Cheers,
Steve