re: gnibbles improvements and build instructions

I am interested in making some improvements to gnibbles, mainly
optional AI, allowing option to set length of time in a level, tron
option (snake trail remains) and possibly some speed up bonus's (as an
option).

I have 9 years experience in C, 3 or 4 years in Java, 2 years in C#
etc. But I have never programmed in linux before.

My first question (sorry if this is stupid).. but I can't build it! I
retrieved all gnome-games from the cvs and tried automake in both the
package directory and gnibbles directory without any success (I'll
post the errors at the end of email).

I also read the README about building but I can't find a configure
script (only a configure.in) and no INSTALL readme.

I am running a standard fedora core 3 installation and have gnome and
the gtk-devel packages installed.

Regards,
Luke

configure.in: no proper invocation of AM_INIT_AUTOMAKE was found.
configure.in: You should verify that configure.in invokes AM_INIT_AUTOMAKE,
configure.in: that aclocal.m4 is present in the top-level directory,
configure.in: and that aclocal.m4 was recently regenerated (using aclocal).
configure.in: required file `./install-sh' not found
configure.in: required file `./missing' not found
aisleriot/Makefile.am:76: GCONF_SCHEMAS_INSTALL does not appear in
AM_CONDITIONAL
aisleriot/Makefile.am: required file `./depcomp' not found
/usr/share/automake-1.9/am/depend2.am: am__fastdepCC does not appear
in AM_CONDITIONAL
/usr/share/automake-1.9/am/depend2.am: AMDEP does not appear in AM_CONDITIONAL
blackjack/data/Makefile.am:24: GCONF_SCHEMAS_INSTALL does not appear
in AM_CONDITIONAL