Re: Mellon awards

Thanks for this Federico.

Federico Mena Quintero wrote:
> On Thu, 2006-05-18 at 17:37 +0200, Dave Neary wrote:
>> We just need to figure out how the GNOME project provides a direct and
>> demonstrably significant benefit to the arts or the environment.

<snip>

> The GNOME Project's software is widely used in the public and private
> sectors in many countries, including schools and universities.  It has
> become one of the dominant desktop environments used in GNU/Linux
> systems.

I think we can concentrate on this a little - GNOME in higher education.
Specifically, http://live.gnome.org/GnomeScienceCD the GNOME Science CD
which contains a list of software targeted for universities, and the
schools/school districts in
http://live.gnome.org/MarketingTeam/GnomeDeployments

> [contribution to the arts; this comes from http://www.gtk.org/success/]
>
> GNOME allows custom software to be written, such as the National
> Gallery's VIPS image processing system
> (http://www.vips.ecs.soton.ac.uk), which is used in the VASARI project
> for archiving and cataloging of artwork in museums worldwide
> (http://www.ecs.soton.ac.uk/~km/projs/vasari/).

This is a great example, but we would be hard pressed to justify that
GNOME did this - we do provide the infrastructure, but "GNOME allows
custom software to be written" seems a bit weak.

Cheers,
Dave.

--
David Neary