Re: GUADEC/GNOME build machines

On Fri, 25 Aug 2006, Rodrigo Moya wrote:

> Date: Fri, 25 Aug 2006 17:11:35 +0200
> From: Rodrigo Moya <rodrigo gnome-db org>
> To: Thomas Vander Stichele <thomas apestaart org>
> Cc: "foundation-list gnome org" <foundation-list gnome org>
> Subject: Re: GUADEC/GNOME build machines
>
> sorry for the late answer...
>
> On Mon, 2006-07-17 at 13:54 +0200, Thomas Vander Stichele wrote:
> > Hello everyone,
> >
> > I'm mailing the foundation list to discuss an EXCITING NEW opportunity
> > for the GNOME project ! No wait, really !
> >
> > A short recap: every year for GUADEC, there's always a terrible
> > confusion about what to do to get enough machines for the streaming.
> > This year, the decision was made to buy four cheap machines for this
> > purpose, and they were used in this capacity.
> >
> > This also means that, for next GUADEC, these four machines will again be
> > available if they survive the coming year.  The only thing that would
> > need to be done is for the GUADEC budget to cover their shipping.

> shipping to some countries might be more expensive than buying new
> machines in those countries. I guess within Europe there shouldn't be
> too much problem, but just in case, it's worth checking the prices ASAP.

Perhaps making more use of VNC, FreeNX, or other solutions which allow
remote usage of build farms could provide an alternative and useful
answer?

Also KDE developers seem to be making big use out of icecream and
distributed compilers (dcc) but so far it isn't something I've noticed
gnome getting into.  (This is the closest I've come to seeing an even
vaguely relevant opportunity to mention it and I'm not sure there is much
I can do to help out.  I didn't get very far with distributed compilation
and rebuilding Garnome overnight was usually easy enough to discourage
my efforts.)

Regards

--
Alan Horkan