Re: Mentoring for GNOME in Google Summer of Code

On 24/04/2006, at 3:46 AM, Claudio Saavedra wrote:

I second Clytie's concern on this matter. In Chile we are in the worst
moment to take part on such a program because we aren't in vacations,
but at the end of the so-called "first year's semester".

Exactly like us in Australia.

Claudio, Behdad has said that Gnome does have some interest in running a SoC in our summer (July?), but probably needs to hear from likely participants.

Do you know any students locally who would like to participate if the SoC is run in our summer? If so, please get them to write to Google about it:

http://code.google.com/soc/

and we will create change. :)

Posters on one of the Linuxchix lists commented that the current scheduling also excludes students in other countries in the Northern Hemisphere (it's exam time for some countries), and that post- graduate/research students don't actually get a break of any length.

I think this means Google needs to be more flexible in how they administer the SoC, or they will be missing out on some very valuable participation.