Re: Changing the name of GUADEC

On Tue, 2005-09-06 at 10:03 -0400, Miguel de Icaza wrote:

> I would try to go for simple "Gnome Conference" or maybe "Gnome Conf".
> I think that "GConf" is just being too cute.

Agreed GConf isn't a good idea any more than OAF or BONOBO would be.

A name change of a conference usually is done for one of two reasons --
(1) legal, e.g. to get out of a contract with a hotel chain
(2) because the content of the conference has changed

E.g. I'd be in favour of a combined KDE+GNOME conference called
Linux Desktop 2006
although it would probably also have a trade show and a very
different feel.

If the feel is the same, keep the name.

You won't turn gnome-haters into advocates (as Dave Neary hoped)
at a conference no Gnome-hater would ever attend.  Instead you
need outreach, you need to identify good speakers to be advocates,
sent out with no cloak or shoes (Biblical reference) to preach the
Good Gnews of Gnome.

Liam

On the Internet no-one can see if you're wearing shoes.