Re: Changing the name of GUADEC

On Tue, 2005-09-06 at 14:08 +0200, Dave Neary wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Christian Fredrik Kalager Schaller a �it :
> > So the solution is that we dump the name that a lot of people in the free software world
> > knows by now and instead switch to a new name...
>  > Building up name recognition and brand takes a lot of time.
>
> Let's kill this excuse dead straight away. GUADEC has *no* mindshare
> outside the existing GNOME developers community. Most people don't know
> what it means, what it is, or who it's for.

You are talking out of ignorance. There are lot of people outside GNOME
who knows what GUADEC is, this includes other people in the Free
Software and Open Source community, it includes a lot of people working
in the IT industry. You seem to think that unless the lady down at the
grocery store knows about it that means that nobody outside GNOME knows
about it.

I am even sure that if you did a poll of Microsoft  employees you would
find a decent number of them who had heard of GUADEC.

An example is last GUADEC, even the BBC guys didn't need any explanation
for what GUADEC was as they as common Linux users had already heard of
it.

Christian