Re: Distribution branding of GNOME

On 8 Mar 2005, at 21:52, Jeff Waugh wrote:

<quote who="Rob Adams">

Of course, we have no way to make it mandatory, but GNOME as a brand has
suffered greatly by the whitewashing practiced by distributions, most
notably the "Java Desktop Environment" (I mean, honestly, what the hell is
that?)

I dunno... it was the "Java Desktop System" last time I looked :)

FWIW, I've asked our marketing folks in the past if the JDS splash screen could include something like "Based on the GNOME project", in much the same way that our StarOffice splash screens proclaim that they're "Based on the OpenOffice.org project". No joy as yet unfortunately, but we do at least retain the "About GNOME" dialog and the contributor list.

Cheeri,
Calum.