Re: Endorsements one by one [was Re: Endorsing David Neary]

Dominic Lachowicz wrote:

Well that's totally against the spirit of voting. Current counts may
change people's idea and might get them affected and they would vote
strategically instead of on their own free will.

I'm sure that a large percentage of foundation memebers voted
strategically; they just did so blindly and of their own free will.

I don't know about other countries, but during elections in the US,
precincts report back data as they process it, and that data is
broadcast on the news. They'll say "55% of people voted for candidate
X and 40% for candidate Y with 20% of the votes counted so far".
I don't believe that these counts are made public until after the polls in the areas being reported on have closed; only "exit polls" (which are by nature unofficial) are allowed up until that time.

Even such exit polls, or reporting of one time-zone's reports before polls in another area have closed, are controversial. Most democracy advocates seem to believe that they are harmful.

regards

Bill

Whether this is useful, harmful, or just airtime filler, I don't know.

The sociologist in me would be interested in seeing a histogram of
when people voted. My intuition is that the 2 week voting period is
longer than it needs to be, though we'll likely (always) see a surge
of voting towards the end.