Re: Questions for the candidate

Hi David,

Today at 12:54, David Neary wrote:

> David Neary wrote:
>> > 10. Should Gnome be marketed as a separate component ? Or should it be
>> > actively promoted as a part of the offerings in a commercial software
>> > stack ?
>> > (Separate component in the sense *a DE in its own way and with its own
>> > ecosystem*)
>>
>> Separate component. The best thing about GNOME is that it is Free
>> Software, and as a project I think it's important we keep that in
>> mind.
>
> Reading back on this I think I probably need to explain myself a
> bit. I understood the question to be whether GNOME should be
> marketed more as a development platform for 3rd party ISVs, or
> whether it should be marketed as a complete, free desktop
> environment. And of those two, I think that it's more important
> to emphasise the complete free desktop environment bit than to
> say "look, ISVs, you can make money out of porting your apps to
> GNOME or wrapping it in your own Special Juice".

Now, reading your clarification, I wonder on the issue that I thought
original question was all about:  what do you feel about promoting
Gnome as "Gnome Desktop" vs. promoting Gnome as "GNU/Linux Desktop"?
(i.e. if "Gnome Desktop" would also be Gnome on Solaris, FreeBSD,
GNU,..., and we'd promote it as "Use Gnome", not "Use GNU/Linux")

Thanks,
Danilo