Re: GNOME Foundation Elections - Official list of candidates

On Wed, 10 Nov 2004, Gregory Leblanc wrote:

> Date: Wed, 10 Nov 2004 19:50:01 -0800
> From: Gregory Leblanc <gleblanc gnome org>
> To: foundation-announce gnome org
> Cc: foundation-list gnome org
> Subject: GNOME Foundation Elections - Official list of candidates
>
> The GNOME Foundation Membership & Elections Committee is pleased to
> announce the final list of candidates running for the 2004 elections.

After last years election [1] I've decided it might be useful to look at
some simple statistics.

Nine-teen canditates 	19
Eleven places 		11

Affliations
  None			6
  Novell 		6
  Red Hat 		4
  Gnome 		1
  Sun Microsystems	1
  Fluendo SL		1

(with thanks to the sort function in Gnumeric because I kept miscounting)

Remember: "no more than four individuals affiliated with any one
corporation may be elected". [2]

The voting system being used is "First Past the post".

Unfortunately this means that if you feel strongly about electing a
particular candidate you are reducing their odds of getting elected if you
also vote for any of the other candidates.  (Which is why I would be
strongly in favour of moving to a ranked system of Preferential Voting [3]
for next year.) This effect will be particularly harsh for the Novell
candidates, two of whom cannot be elected.

I want to thank all who have made the effort to run, and I hope that those
who are elected will do their best to encourage the other seven to
participate whenever possible.

Your votes are anonymous, vote for the best candidate for the job!

Sincerely

Alan Horkan
http://advogato.org/person/AlanHorkan/
Inkscape, Draw Freely http://inkscape.org
Free SVG Clip Art http://OpenClipArt.org

[1] Due to quotas on corporate affiliation and relatively short list of
candidates the most significant factor in last years election results was
the need to elminate Novell employees.  (13 Candidates for 11 places 5
affiliated with Novell.)
http://foundation.gnome.org/elections/2003/candidates.html

[2] Gnome Foundation Election Rules
http://foundation.gnome.org/elections/2004/rules.html

[3] Preferential Voting
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ranked_ballot

Gnome Foundation Electoin Canditates 2004
http://foundation.gnome.org/elections/2004/candidates.html