Re: Yes to Publicity! Not to Anonimit! Was: Re: GNOME Foundation Annual Elections - proposal

Not with voting I don't think.  Judging from personal experience I know the
thought had occured to me when voting as what would some people make of my
vote.  So definately random politics, popular opinions and relationships not
having anything to do with who should be on the GNOME board did likely have
an effect on who I voted for.  And it should not have.
The truth is that you *could not* eliminate this problem completely. Thus you have to understand how bad is it and try to limit damage. As I wrote before anonymous voting *is not* the only solution. And since it has its own problems I suggest to understand and carefully compare pluses and minuses of
this change.

Free software review works even if you don't know WHO wrote the original
piece of code and so it's not a good analogy.
I do not talk about the quality of the code after reviewer did review and suggested changes. I am talking about the way original author writes code in case s/he knows that nobody but her/him would ever look at it and in case when s/he defenetly know that at least one poor guy (reviewer) would read it. I've seen how people coding style changes *dramaticaly* in the second case.

Exactly.  Or that your boss would see that you voted for people from company
C rather then some candidates from company B.  I know it would certainly
influence my votes.  Or what if your boss is a candidate.  I would quite
likely vote for him/her then, even if I didn't think he/she would be the
best candidate.  (Maybe I should use 'it' instead of 'he/she' since that
just sounds crap)
If my boss is a candidate and if I don't think s/he is a good guy for the job then probably I would go, talk with her/him and explain my position. Usually I am working with people who do understand that other people have right to think differently and I don't see that this could be a problem for me, say, right now. If you have your position ("I don't think that my boss can be a good GNOME Foundation member") then anonymous vote just helps you to say this to yourself and make sure that nobody will notice it. If you really really think that your boss should not be elected and if you care about election at all then probably you should say it to everyone instead (who knows your boss better than you do?). Yes, you may have problems because of your statement. But it's *your*
descision. And *you* have to make it.

And probably there are other solutions to this problem as well.  Anonimity
sounds like a first option but this does not mean that it's the best one.

But what is the problem with anonymous voting.  You say understand that outside
influence is a problem, but you also gave it as the only advantage of public
voting.

The issue by itself is big enough. And in my original email I have listed 3 issues that bothers me in
anonymous voting. This one is only the first one.

Aleksey