Re: Questions for candidates

Luis Villa wrote:

> I suppose the problem/lack of understanding is that a main point of my
> talk was that we (i.e., non-code-writers) can't generally 'force'
> anything on coders. Since above all else the project needs working
> code[1], coders have a bigger stick than the rest of us. That's fine.
> That doesn't mean the rest of us aren't important, nor does it mean we
> can't earn the right to have our voices heard. It just means we have to
> work slightly harder to reach that point, since we have to win leverage
> and influence by working at it in ways that coders do not.
>
> Bottom line is that I earned my position within the project by doing
> very non-code stuff. So it's quite possible for anyone to do it. That
> doesn't mean we get it on a silver platter, for better or for worse.
>
> Luis
>
> [1] I can QA unmaintained code until the end of time, but that won't get
> GNOME $NEXT out the door- only coders can fix/release/make improvements
> in the code. So, in that sense, a coder is more important than I am. I'm
> only important (in that framework) if I convince coders that they want
> QA- and I have done that, so I'm important. a11y and other groups
> /could/ do that- i18n definitely has, for example (more so than QA,
> even), and usability is moving in that direction. But it's a continual
> process for each group and must be earned.

Luis - we are just going to have to agree to disagree. I do not believe that any part of a successful, cohesive team is any more important than another part, in terms of the overall final result. Analogy: the guys making the engines in the car factory are the most important because the cars can't function without engines. Tell that to the wheels department, or the brakes team.

Pat