Re: RealMedia used for GUADEC live transmissions?

On Sun, Jun 22, 2003 at 04:49:10PM +0100, Glynn Foster wrote:
> Hey there,
>
> >  On  http://live.guadec.org/audiovideo.html  I can read:
> >
> >     Live 150kps Real Video Stream from Burke Theatre
> >                     ^^^^^^^^^^
> >
> > I'm sorry, but I feel it is extremely awkward that a project aimed at
> > making people use a Free Software desktop promotes using non-free
> > software.
> >
> > I can understand the motivation and how it may have been well intended,
> > but this should not continue.
>
> I'll put you down for helping at next years conference then. There are
> also issues with drivers for video cameras, etc etc.
>
> Look forward to you solving the issue, and attending GUADEC next year.

There are Free Software solutions to this problem: MPEGs, Vorbis Theora,
and no-videos.  If there is a shortage of manpower or video skills then
the no-video option is the simplest.

The problem is that the website encouraged the use of proprietary
software and file formats.  The solution is to remove the videos.

Ciaran O'Riordan