Re: RealMedia used for GUADEC live transmissions?

On Wed, Jun 18, 2003 at 11:05:08PM +0100, Andrew Sobala wrote:
> On Wed, 2003-06-18 at 19:35, Ciaran O'Riordan wrote:
> > I agree with Rui Miguel.  Encouraging the use of proprietary
> > software is quite counter productive.
> >
> > I searched the foundation-list archives for RealPlayer and
> > got no hits.  It appears that this has not been an issue before.
> >

> On the other hand, if there's no mature Free alternative, then the
> GU4DEC organisers would have to not allow people to view the talks over
> the internet at all. That's not productive either :-)

I don't think streaming video is enough to justify the encouragement
of proprietary software, formats, and protcols.

If someone thinks that video is very important then MPEGs would
be one option, the beta version of Vorbis video would be another
contender.  I think a no-video option would be okay.  Oggs are
fine on their own.  Either way, the next point is the more important:

> > Maybe it's time for a GNOME Foundation policy document on the
> > promotion of Free Software (and the non-promotion of proprietary
> > software/standards/formats).  This would apply to official
> > GNOME websites, software, conferences, and docs.
> >

> Maybe so.

Anyone else think it's time for this sort of document?

Ciaran O'Riordan
--
Irish Free Software Forum: