Minutes from GNOME Board Meeting 2003 07 15

     Minutes of the Board meeting July 15 2003

Attendance:
===========

   Daniel Veillard (chair)
   Jim Gettys
   James Henstridge
   Luis Villa
   Jonathan Blandford
   Jody Goldberg
   Miguel de Icaza

   Tim Ney

Regrets:
========
   Nat Friedman
   Glynn Foster
   Jeff Waugh
   Bill Haneman

ACTION:
=======

    ACTION: Tim to Investigate liability insurance.
	: DONE.  Sent in status report.

    ACTION: Thanks: Wilson-Sonsini for working pro-bono
            Red Hat for bandwidth
        in newsletter and on the foundation site
	: Pending
    ACTION: Tim to look into merchandising options around our logo and
        GUADEC proceedings
	: Tim is looking into things, but would appreciate more options.
    ACTION: Nat to get the charter amended to reflect the current consensus
	: Nat sent something, but no formal adoption process has be done.
    ACTION: Nat and Jody to draft a short list of projects to propose for
        funding
	: Pending
    ACTION: Jonathan to set up the mechanism to publish and consult
        Tim's quickbooks data
	: Pending
    ACTION: Jeff to see how to get a link to Friends of Gnome from the desktop
	: Pending. Jeff to summarise issues.
    ACTION: Jeff to build a mailing list for joint marketing and board issues
	: DONE
    ACTION: Put the confidentiality policy on website
	: Sent and reviewed on list.  We need to put it on the web
	and add links to it from the .sig lines of all board and
	advisory board emails.
	: Pending Nat.
    ACTION: Daniel to request and review by-laws of German GNOME Foundation
	: Pending.

    ACTION: Leslie to send a copy of the old marketing plan
	: pending.

    ACTION: Nat to collect advisory board slides and post them
	: pending

    ACTION: Jeff to condense all of the edits from the thread on GUADEC
    	requirements and resend.
	: pending

    ACTION: Nat to clarify status of OLS hothouse
	: DONE.  Ximian pays for 1 day

New Actions:
============

    ACTION : Decide what to do w.r.t liability insurance.
	: Tim will look into.

    ACTION : Luis to publicize 1 day pre ols conference.

    ACTION : Luis poll with release team for roadmap.

    ACTION : Daniel to check with Nat and schedule the advisory phone call,

    ACTION : Jim, find status of GPE announment from Leslie & Nils

===========

    OLS : Ximian pays for a room at Le Suites on the 22nd
	: Luis to send out an announcement to gnome and freedesktop
	  lists.

    RoadMap
	: Several Advisory board members requested a broad
	  non-normative map of future intent.
	: Need 2 types of information
	    - High level targets (printing, new file selector)
	    - Module level goals for the next year.  Release team
	      can poll for this.

    Advisory Phone Meeting
	: At last meeting we discussed having a phone meeting within 2
	  months.  That date is coming up.

    GPE Announcement
	: In limbo pending feedback from Leslie and Nils
	: Would be nice to coordinate announcement with OLS

    News Letter
	: Consensus that we need to do this on a regular basis, an ad
	  hoc release would be unprofessional.
	: This means that the articles need to be ready well in advance.
	: Poll Glynn for prefered layout mechanism.

    Web Site
	: James modified existing templates to look somewhat like jeff's
	  guadec code and used it for developer
	: Jeff is looking into a consistent approach for website and
	  docbook help files.  Status unknown.

    Presence at Shows
	: Select events we will attend directly
	: Select events gnome would like to attend and send out a call
	  to organize a local presence and arrange for marketing
	  materials.
	: Continue discussions on Linux Work participation

    Procedure
	: How to request a press release ?
	    - Send text to board and leslie for review