Re: Minutes of the GNOME Board meeting September 10 2002

Hej Sasha!

> Wow, I hope that this works out, one way or another. If everything else
> fails, we can have a fundraiser - I'd gladly contribute $50 if I knew
> that all my problems with printing Cyrillic are solved "out of the box".

1.
www.gnome.ru/fonts/urw/release --> cyrillised URW
www.altlinux.ru --> cyrillic _printing_ out of the box.

afaik RH & MDK also distribute cyrillised URW now.

2.
We are going to digitize 37 fonts (still don't know exact count of italic/bold/narrow etc variant)
that were (and are) the state standards in Russia (GOST 3489.2-71 -- 3489.38-72).
Outlines of those fonts were developed in the 1950-1960 by professional font designers
and so as those are the state standards there are no copyrights trouble with it.
Some (not all) of those fonts include latin-1 part but we will make latin-1 for all of them.

3.
We make some R&D around TT hinting and possible will release hand-hinted ttf's too.

Cheers,
Valek