Re: Minutes of the GNOME Board meeting September 10 2002

On Thu, 2002-09-12 at 12:21, Daniel Veillard wrote:

> 	  Minutes of the GNOME Board meeting September 10 2002

> Actions:
> ========
>
>   ACTION: Jim to restart the font discussions with various parties
> 	=> Jim reported progresses with a well-known font maker,
> 	   Keith Packard is also involved in the evaluation. We will
> 	   need to provide a name for the font and do a Trademark search
> 	   for it.

This is starting to get intersesting...
Can someone clarify what exactly we are trying to do? Order a font from
the vendor to be included in GNOME under GPL? *One* font? A collection
of fonts? In what ways will be it better than existing URW Type 1 fonts?
I am not saying that we do not need fonts other than URW - we sure do,
but it would be interesting to know what are our exact goals here.
For example: URW fonts include only iso8859-1 charset, so Cyrillic,
Greek, Hebrew, Arabic (not to mention CJK) are not supported (of course,
there are other fonts - free, copied form Windows partition, or  pirated
- one could use, but it requires extra effort). Will the new fonts fix
this?

Sasha