Time to sweat the details (was Re: Minutes of the GNOME Board....)

For various reasons, I've had to set up a number of systems (Debian/Redhat)
recently for my own and for demo usage.  This is a a major disaster from
the end user perspective (me and others being the end user, in this case)...
Take a week or two out of your life sometime, and try installing a system
from scratch, and not just getting the environment you use set up
well, but attempt to make everything work well... It is enlightening,
to say the least.

We need to get key developers from a number of projects truly cooperating
closely: these include: Gnome, KDE, XFree86, Freetype, Ghostscript,
CUPS, LPRNG, etc.

Now that the base technologies of both Gnome and KDE are coming
together, this sort of interoperability should become our
burning issue, in my humble (or not) opinion.

Some work has been on going on window manager standards in
the opendesktop.org area, but we need to go much further to
unify (at least from the user's perspective):
	o configuration of themes
	o configuration/installation of fonts (both for screen and printer use)
	o selection of fonts for UI elements
	o menu presentation
	o configuration of mimetypes/viewers etc, both between
	web browsers (Netscape/Mozilla) and base desktop environments.
	o Even inside of Gnome, I could not get nautilus to share
	the fonts I got the rest of Gnome to use!
	o There was something else major I know I'm forgetting, but
	you get the gist!  The list is longer, by alot.
Right now, you get to do things (at least) twice, and often
three or four times in setting up a system to be usable.  This sucks.

I hope to have some time to put together an editorial on this topic sometime
soon....  But troops with the burning passion to help get this fixed would
help greatly.

For example, people to help work on the font configuration tools and work
with Keith Packard on getting Xft2 (and his font configuration library,
no longer tied to X as of a few weeks ago), everywhere would help greatly
on that front.

We need to start sweating the details, folks!  We can't rely on the distro's
to clean up our messes after us properly, either: default behavior needs
to be good as the software is initially built or installed (so they don't
feel obligated to "fix" it.  If the initial defaults are broken, relying
on distro vendors to fix turns out to be a *BAD* strategy, as they know
less than the developers and often get things from a bad state to a worse
state (example: as shipped, the XftConfig file I found on one system was
so broken as to make KDE's font's and appearance truly horrid after
installing Microsoft True Type fonts on one system).

So there is both technical work, social work, and self discipline needed...
				- Jim

--
Jim Gettys
Cambridge Research Laboratory