Minutes of the GNOME Board meeting June 18 2002

	  Minutes of the GNOME Board meeting June 18 2002

Presents:
=========

    Havoc Pennington (chair)
    Jim Gettys
    Jody Goldberg
    Jonathan Blandford
    Daniel Veillard (minutes)
    Tim Ney
    James Henstridge
    Federico Mena (:20)

Missing:
========
    Nat Friedman
    Telsa Gwynne

Regrets:
========
    Miguel de Icaza
    George Lebl

Actions Done:
=============

  ACTION: Tim and Daniel start a sub comitee for GUADEC organization
        => Started, Tim looked with Gman for Ireland locations, Germany
	   is another option which need to be looked at

Actions:
========

  ACTION: Jim to restart the font discussions with various parties
	=> This is still continuing. Jim is cautiously optimistic.

  ACTION: Nat and Jonathan talk to gnome-sysadmin about adding ssh
          tunneling for GNOME CVS access
        => This has been postponed until after GNOME 2.0
	=> See discussions.

  ACTION: Havoc, Jody, Nat volunteer for working on producing a first
       draft of ABI rules for GNOME-2 releases, get involvment from
       someone at Sun, and make sure the draft get some review.
	=> Still pending, there is a few partial proposals, not ready yet

  ACTION: Tim and Jim looking at structuring tutorials
	=> Have begun discussing this via email. Jim did talk to the
           organizers of USENIX, this need to be ready at least 6 months
	   in advance (early Jan for USENIX).

  ACTION: Nat to make sure the splash screen logo gets updated in CVS
        => we need to check the state of this item

New Actions:
============

===========

  - approve last meeting minutes:
    http://mail.gnome.org/archives/foundation-announce/2002-June/msg00000.html

  - Latin America talks:
    Miguel is giving talks next week in South America, we need more visibility
    in Latin America we hope this will improve it.

  - Missippi: the OSSI organization is looking at using Linux in school and
    they are looking at GNOME for some guidance on the GUI/desktop issues.
    => Havoc will get onto their mailing-list

  - Software Map: still having troubles with Richard Stallman for the couple
    of program not labelled as free.
    Problem is where to draw the line. There are a couple of example like
    the proprietary suites (GTK based but not free) and Eclipse (OpenSource
    but relying on Java).
    It's not a good idea to define yet another free software guideline,
    there was some momentum on reusing the Debian's Free Software Guidelines.

    At the moment it seems there is no need to draw the line, if we feel the
    need this could be decided on the foundation list and voted on, but
    currently simply adding an "Others" Licence selection sounds fine.

  - GNOME2 release
    We are waiting on the Foundation membership feedback for the press release
    which was prepared.
    What's the state of the Web site update, it's likely that initially only
    the front page and logos will be updated, and that the rest of the site
    will be improved progressively.

Daniel