Minutes of the GNOME Board meeting January 15 2002

[Oops, I forgot to send those last week, sorry, Daniel]

	  Minutes of the GNOME Board meeting January 15 2002

Presents:
=========

    Havoc Pennington (chairing)
    James Henstridge
    Jody Goldberg
    Daniel Veillard  (minutes)
    Telsa Gwynne
    Nat Friedman
    Federico Mena
    Jim Gettys
    Miguel de Icaza
    Tim Ney

Missing:
========
    George Lebl
    Jonathan Blandford

Decisions:
==========

 - Board telconfs will be rotated on Red Hat, Ximian and Compaq phone bridges
 - The foundation will have the Advisory Meeting the day before Guadec3
   April 3rd in Sevilla.
 - Havoc and Nat will co-chair the Board this year, Daniel and Telsa will
   handle the Secretary work.

Actions done:
=============

  ACTION: Jonathan and Jim will look at Red Hat and Compaq to find
          if they can host phone meetings
     => Done: Red Hat should be able to host it once a month. Same for Compaq
        but would not be able to provide toll-free international phone calls

  ACTION: Tim to grant provision to get a screenshot of our home page
          to a printing company which requested it
     => Done

Actions:
========

  ACTION: Tim, John and Havoc to get a draft statement on the relation
          with the free software foundation and license policy.
     => Tim and Havoc have started, in progress

  ACTION: Jim to restart the font discussions with various parties
     => pending, there are talks

  ACTION: Nat and Jonathan talk to gnome-sysadmin about adding ssh
          tunneling for GNOME CVS access
     => A description has been sent, waiting for a reply, other work
        need to be done, pending.

  ACTION: Tim to get the membership logos on the foundation page
     => Should be done in a few days

  ACTION: Havoc to update the main page www.gnome.org, we need a link to
          the Gnome-2 effort and need some cleanup.
     => Changed the HTML but it didn't propagated. Waited for sysadmin
        to sync it.

New Actions:
============

  ACTION: Jonathan to draft a possible official answer to the Uk Gov Talk
          request for comment on the use of open source software within
          the UK government.

  ACTION: Tim, Daniel and Miguel will make sure taht we have the basic
          informations left to be able to officially announce Guadec3 next
	  week and secure logistic for the Advisory Meeting

===========

 - approve last meeting minutes:
   http://mail.gnome.org/archives/foundation-announce/2002-January/msg00000.html

 - GNOME 2 release naming.
   There was a phone meeting an Jeff Waught drafted a paragraph which should
   be approved by the end of the week.

 - GUADEC3:
   We will have the Advisory Meeting the day before the start of GUADEC3
   Guadec 3 site need completion especially the travel and hotel pages
   or at least an evaluation of the cost for the hotels:
       http://www.guadec.org/
     => we would like to get
   The call for papers was done, abstract for deadlines is 25th Jan:
       http://www.guadec.org/callforpapers.php

 - GNOME2:
   Seems to start to work !
   We have most of the packages ready for the alpha desktop release.

 - Chair and Secretary positions for the Board (not the Foundation):
   Seems good to have backups for proxy.
   Havoc and Nat will co-chair the Board,
   Daniel and Telsa will handle the Secretary work.

 - plan to have next meeting Tues 29 same time on the Red Hat bridge

Daniel