Re: Non-free software and GNOME

Hi,

Miguel de Icaza <miguel ximian com> writes:
>    I like to think that GNOME has always worked with other communities
> to achieve the ultimate goal which is to bring free software adoption
> to the desktop.  Sometimes this means cooperating and integrating
> technologies like Mozilla, and we have worked hard with third parties.
>
>    Although I preffer free software options to proprietary ones most
> of the time I see nothing wrong with mentioning software which might
> be of interest to gnome users and which could help the deployment of
> more linux systems on the desktop.

However, GNOME is part of the GNU project.  It is meant to promote
free software.

The GNOME Summaries should thus not be used to promote non-free
software.  As a compromise, all non-free software should be
prominently be noted as such, and every mention of non-free software
in the summaries should be accompanied by a link to the "Why free
software" page.

- Hari
--
Raja R Harinath ------------------------------ harinath cs umn edu