Re: Minutes of the GNOME Board meeting 16 October 2001

Hi,

On Thu, Oct 18, 2001 at 12:31:38PM -0400, Daniel Veillard was heard to remark:
>  - Update on GNOME 2
>    schedule is published, as usual people would like to add more feature
>    problem now is to meet that schedule. This is in the hands of the
>    developpers, translators and documentors now.
>    Nautilus port to Gnome2 seems to be a bit behind schedule.
>    Porting is making progress in general.

Maybe I'm a dork that's out of touch ... but ...

I have no clue on how to port to gnome-2.0.  I've recently hacked,
in some medium-sized way, the gnome time-tracker tool (I almost
tripled the number of lines of code in it ... for better or worse).
I've had people tell me to port to gnome-2.0.

Threre's been mention of 'vicous build scripts' -- where do I find
these??  Maybe they're in CVS somewhere ?

Looking at http://developer.gnome.org/ there's only one promising
link ...  its to http://developer.gnome.org/dotplan/ which has a
schedule, but no practical how-to's, no build notes, nada.

So I'm punting on the gnome-2 port.  I noticed that various gnome-2 ish
things are showing up in debian unstable, and so my plan is to port to
gnome-2 as they show up in debian ... I doubt this is optimal
schedule-wise ...

Another thing that would be nice is a 'what's new' or 'porting hints'.
For example, I noticed that gtkobj has been replaced by gobj.  But
I feel very clever for having noticed this ... certainly other,
somewhat less active/attached programmers are not likely to notice such
things ...

I can't possibly be the only one left scratching my head.

???

--linas

p.s. telling me to subscribe to yet another mailing list is not
really going to work.  I'm already spending too much time with email.
I really, really beleive tha the web site should coordinate these kinds
of efforts ...

--
pub  1024D/01045933 2001-02-01 Linas Vepstas (Labas!) <linas linas org>