Re: Candidate Richard Stallman

On Thu, Nov 08, 2001 at 03:45:24PM -0700, Richard Stallman wrote:
> As president of the Free Software Foundation, I have had years of
> experience working with contributors both individual and corporate.

  Being able to attract famous leaders from the free software movememt
to the elections of the Gnome Foundation is a good sign of the success
of the Gnome project. Your candidacy sounds very promising.

> If I am elected to the board of the GNOME Foundation, I will use the
> position to improve coordination between GNOME and the rest of GNU--in
> regard to technical decisions, public relations, and long-term goals.

  However with all due respect, it must be clear that activity at the
Board of Director level constitutes an individual contribution. It is
relatively clear from the election overview and the by laws that a
director should not solely represent the interests of a specific company
or constituency but act on behalf of all GNOME contributors in the best
interest of GNOME. I think this simplified the work at the Board of
Director level so far and allowed to process smoothly even when
decisions could have had serious impact on the survival of companies
involved in the Gnome project.
  The GNOME Foundation Board of Advisors provides a forum for corporate
or other organization representation, for example Tim Ney represented
the FSF during the last Board of Advisors meeting.

  Others candidates have made this clear that they understood this
distinction in their candidacy statement, this s not completely clear
from yours.

   Thanks in advance for any precisions you would make on this topic,

Daniel