From: bart decrem com [mailto:bart decrem com]On Behalf Of Bart Decrem
Sent: Sunday, October 29, 2000 9:00 PM
To: Tom Musgrove
Cc: foundation-list gnome org
Subject: Re: Low voter registration and candidate bias

Hi Tom,

I think that 350 is just about the number of people who are actively
involved
in GNOME at present.  By "actively involved" I mean folks who are
contributing
code, documenting GNOME, translating it etc.  So I'm actually quite happy
with
the registration turnout.

The elections are not intended for GNOME users, but for those active
developers: we want the GNOME Foundation and GNOME to be controlled by the
people who are working day in day out on GNOME.   I'd love to meet anyone
who's
actively involved with GNOME who hasn't heard about the elections by now.
It's
received coverage on:
- tons of general purpose news media around 8/15
- Gnome-hackers, on a number of occasions
- on #gnome on IRC, I've noticed people talking about the elections for
months
now
- Gnotices (2 posts)
- Slashdot (2 posts)
- LWN.net (a recent story about the elections)
- ZDNet (a story this week mentions the elections)
- Gnome-list
- Gnome-announce-list
- Foundation-list
- Foundation-announce
- and, of course, there's foundation.gnome.org.

I have to agree with Havoc that folks who haven't heard about these
elections
by now don't care enough about GNOME that we want them voting.

Cheers,

Bart