Candidacy (Jim Gettys)

Various people have suggested I run for the board of directors.  After
some trepidation and thought, I'm announcing my candidacy.

On a technical level, as my background has been related to, but not directly
in building Gnome software:
	* Bob Scheifler and I started the X Window System, upon which Gnome is
	built. I wrote Xlib and contributed to many of the early X applications.
	It makes me more than happy to see so many people finally do some
	of what we envisioned over 10 years ago in Gnome.
	* I've hacked audio servers.
	* I'm also more than passingly familar with HTTP and web technology.
	* I'm helping push Linux and X on handheld computers these days (and even
	occasionally write some code as a result). (yes, Petunia, you can run
	Gnome apps on your iPAQ handheld...)

On a "pointy haired" level:
	* I helped start one of the first major open source projects (the X Window
	System) in 1983/1984.
	* I've participated in the X Consortium, which I (with 20-20 hindsight)
	believe strongly is NOT a good model for Gnome or open source projects.
	* I've been a staff member of W3C, which, while having somewhat similar problems
	to the X consortium, due to its sheer size has had fewer problems despite
	its similar organizational structure.
	* I've been the editor of the HTTP/1.1 specification in the IETF, and
	have good insight into that organization's strucuture, which I believe
	Gnome would do well to study.
	* Spent time this summer on the Gnome foundation announcement and startup.

In short, I'd really like to see open source desktops succeed.
Interoperability is a key to this, and applications (both open source
and commercial) are another.  We MUST avoid the GUI wars that crippled
UNIX desktops in the 1980's to change the world.

--
Jim Gettys
Technology and Corporate Development