Re: What is GNOME office?

Note that with the X copyright, no transfer of copyright is needed at
all, as derivative works are possible.  Multiple copyrights are indeed
then a reasonable thing (just look at files in the X distribution), and
in many ways (given the experience of the X consortium) it is safer for
copyrights to be held by many individuals/companies rather than having
a single point of failure. (it was this fact that made it much easier
to show TOG the error of their ways, along with threatening a fork).

Then when X copyrights mixed with GPL/LGPL, the aggregate is still GPL/LGPL.

I know this solution won't appeal to some, but I bring it up to get
people thinking.

I'm personally uncomfortable with the model of single copyright holders
for important open source code (whether it be Sun or the FSF), personally,
given my experience of how much mischief the copyright holder can cause.

					- Jim

--
Jim Gettys
Technology and Corporate Development