Re: polarization

Sam TH wrote:

No one is going to sue GNOME

for our money.  People are going to sue GNOME to shut us down.  Tommorow,
when Microsoft decides that we are infringing its patent on little gray
bars on the bottom of the screen, they aren't going to be interested in
how much money they can squeeze us for, any more than the MPAA is interested
in how much money Eric Corely has in his savings account.

And when that time comes, someone will have to put up the money to defend
GNOME.  And it won't be cheap, not by a long shot.  So even if you don't
want the foundation to have lots of money, someone will have to.

I agree.  The foundation will really need to think through what our patent defense strategy is going to be.  This may well emerge as a huge issue in our future.  With Sun, HP and other high-profile companies getting involved, GNOME is now MUCH more high profile and the likelihood of litigation is much higher.  When I met with the attorneys drafting our legal documents, we tossed around a few ideas for what strategies we could use, and we'll need to continue that conversation.

Bart

        sam th
        sam uchicago edu
        http://www.abisource.com/~sam/