Re: What is GNOME?

Havoc Pennington wrote:

> Anyway, even this list looks pretty controversial. :-( I think we need
> to actually answer the hard questions about what GNOME contains. If we
> can't do that, then we need to answer it by saying that GNOME contains
> everything imaginable. Then of course the worry is that the foundation
> will be run by kids that write gfloppy and gless and stuff like that,
> instead of by the larger contributors with lots of experience.
>
> What lines can we draw?
>
> Havoc

This process seems very complicated and time consuming. If we
do it like this we are going to spend most of the time,
deciding who is and who isn't a member. We need a very
simple and clear way of deciding. There will be thousands
of special cases
"I wrote gnome-foo 0.0.1 a month ago and I did a couple
of tranlations for GdiskFree, and fixed a bug in gfloppy."
Is he a member or not ?

Do a tranlator deservers to be a member and not a
dr-genius hacker ? (since we consider dr-g not part
of the core gnome).

Maybe the solution is to allow anybody who wants to be a member,
to become one. And filter all the kids by requiring the
payment of an enrollment fee. I don't think somebody is going
to pay 15/20 bucks just to vote on something that does not
maters to him. This also opens a can of worms, since a
company will be able to enroll a lot of their programers
and pay for their fees, which will give this company a certain
power over the voting process.

I keep thinking of :
How many members of the IEEE do not deserver to be a members ?
How many members of the United State Parachute Asociaton
are not Skydivers ?

My point is that we need a very simple way to decide who's a
member. Most of the hackers don't have time to answer a 3 line
email, and we are going to spend time deciding who's a member ?

Chema