Re: Minutes of the GNOME Foundation Board meeting 28 November 2000

On Thu, Nov 30, 2000 at 12:14:46PM +0100, Martin Baulig wrote:
> >   One of the most common problems which led to the discussion whether
> > we should add ACL (Access Control Lists) to the CVs base is that there
> > have been case of people who were granted access to do a specific
> > action on the code base and who extended that priviledge and made
> > unappropriate changes to the code.
>
> Hmm, aren't maintainers normally reading over cvs-commits-list and checking
> whether there's something wrong.

  No, for example I don't. I read the Changelog, but please don't
assume that people will read the cvs-commit-list

  I am also among the people who dislike the idea of ACLs on the
CVS base. In my experience it is just a serious pain (I work
in an enviroment with a badly integrated AFS, and ACL are just a
real PITA, mostly by lack of proper integration with the rest of
the system).
  For now there is ACL rules, described in the modules HACKING files,
but those are not system enforced. I would far prefer to have this
left to the responsibility of the people accessing the CVS base.

Daniel

--
Daniel Veillard w3 org | W3C, INRIA Rhone-Alpes  | libxml Gnome XML toolkit
Tel : +33 476 615 257  | 655, avenue de l'Europe | http://xmlsoft.org/