Re: Red Hat makes its announcement

  Mark,

 I have the feeling you really feel ripped off, but in that case
I think you were a bit hasty ...

> Yuck.  Check out the "About the GNOME Foundation" part.  They mention
> who is in the foundation: it is all corporations.  No mention of the
> developers.

 Developper word was not used, they used the word individuals, which
IMHO is more correct, some people have provided very valuable feedback
or additions to Gnome without being developpers. It also avoid carefully
the label "for developpers only' that had been the plague of Linux on
the desktop so far.

> We should ask for a correction.  Can someone at Red Hat get the PR
> people to do so?
>
> At least they use the word GNU.  They do not give the
> http://www.gnome.org/ web site.

  Well reread it there is an URL to the gnome site, that's actually
the only one provided in the PR, which is actually very good, that's
the only "exit" point.

Daniel

>           announced it has joined the GNOME project and top industry
>           vendors including Compaq, Eazel, Helix Code, IBM, Sun
>           Microsystems and VA Linux Systems to form the GNOME
>           Foundation, a non-profit, unified group of vendors and
>           individuals dedicated to advancing the use and extending the
            ^^^^^^^^^^^

>           capabilities of the popular GNOME graphical user
>           environment.
>
>           The GNOME (GNU Network Object Modeling Environment)
>           project is an open source, GUI-based user interface for Linux
>           designed to run on all modern versions of UNIX-like operating
>           systems. Since its development, GNOME has quickly become
>           one of the world's leading, free and simple desktop
>           environments.

            sounds rather good to me

[...]
>           You are invited to participate in the GNOME Foundation. We
>           welcome contributions in many forms. Our membership
>           consists of those individuals who have demonstrated a
>           commitment to the development of GNOME through
>           participation in the development, documentation and
>           promotion of GNOME. The Advisory Board provides a vehicle
>           for organizations and companies to communicate with the
>           GNOME community and support GNOME. Additional
>           information is available at http://www.gnome.org.

  No honnestly, if your mail excerpt if complete, I don't see your point.

Daniel (not employed by any of the companies involved !)

--
Daniel.Veillard@w3.org | W3C, INRIA Rhone-Alpes  | Today's Bookmarks :
Tel : +33 476 615 257  | 655, avenue de l'Europe | Linux XML libxml WWW