Candidacy: Glynn Foster

Name:           Glynn Foster
Email:          glynn foster sun com
Affiliation:    Sun Microsystems Inc.

I'm not in this for the glamour, the title or girls. I'm not in
this to feel popular if I get voted. I'm not in this so that I can
sit on the board and avoid the real work. I'm not in this so that
I can fanboy the other board members. I want to help the GNOME Project
achieve, and I will donate my time and energy to make the ideas become
a reality.

Full Statement:

I am a 25 year old Irishman, currently working remotely on Sun's
Java Desktop System in New Zealand. I have been involved in the
GNOME project for 3 years and was a member of the Foundation Board
last year. I helped in bringing GU4DEC to Dublin, wrote 'battfink'
and 'zenity', and sometimes maintain 'gnome-utils', among other
things.

Although I am employed by Sun as a developer, I am not bringing those
skills to the table [1].

The Foundation Board's motto has always been something like 'We have
so many ideas, we just don't have the time'. If you don't have the
time, you should not run for the GNOME Foundation Board. The board
is about a group of passionate people wanting to see GNOME evolve and
succeed. For the most part, it's an amazingly unglamourous role but
it does have its benefits. I have the time, the passion and honesty
to say that I am running for the board to get the ideas turned into
reality, not for my ego or the directorship title.

I believe in consistency, and believe that it's crucially important
as we move forward, especially at Foundation Board level. When I
look back at the archived meeting minutes, I sometimes ask myself

	'Did we actually achieve anything this year?'

Perhaps the answer is

	'Not as much as we wanted to'

but from a board perspective we've created a better understanding of
what we are trying to achieve, where we are trying to go and more
fundamentally a better structure and synergy to work from.

Glynn

[1] Or lack of them ;)