Candidacy (Tim Ney)

I would like to nominate myself for the for the GNOME Foundation Board
of Directors.

Summary
= = = = = = = = = = = =

My first work with GNOME was procuring machines for hackers and
launching 1.0 with a 20' X 20' booth and press conference at the
first LinuxWorld in San Jose.   As a free software advocate, I've
presented GNOME to government officials in the U.S., Europe and Asia,
explained GPL/LGPL licensing to lawyers, reporters, executives, venture
capitalists and newbies.  I've organized booths and seminars to raise
public awareness of GNOME around the world. As an administrator and
fundraiser, I've obtained money, goods and services to support GNOME.

With 2.0 providing a stronger foundation to hack on, I see 2002 as the
year GNOME scales beyond the hacker community and onto the desktops of
schools, corporations and government offices around the globe.

Areas of importance
= = = = = = = = = = = =

* Technical: usability, interoperability, killer apps

* Outreach: gnome-love, GNOME roadshows, building partnerships

* Planning: of the long-range kind, particularly setting up a calendar
of events such as hackfests, tutorials & GUADECs.  Eclipsing releases
with marketing & p.r.

* Legal:  copyright, patents, protect the foot trademark

* Good Projects:  demonstration projects in schools and with agencies
such as UNESCO, testimonials from happy users

Closing Remarks
= = = = = = = = = = = =

The GNOME Foundation got off to a good start with its first set of
directors. However, there is much more work to be done.  With a
less than secure global economy and open source companies hit hard, the
persistent efforts of the GNOME community to provide robust free
software are more important than ever.   Now that GNOME is _the_
cross-platform desktop,  it can dramatically increase its user base.
The GNOME Foundation should continue to harvest resources necessary for
further development and deployment.

For the GNOME Foundation to fulfill its mission, it needs the combined
efforts of hackers and non-hackers alike. My contribution is to build
bridges, develop strategy and help set the necessary groundwork of
policy and projects needed for GNOME to scale to a wider geography of
recognition and use.