Compare photos

Hi all,

Something I find myself doing all the time is comparing two or more very
similar photos. I think it would be great if there was some sort of
compare functionality in f-spot and have been thinking about having a
crack at implementing something.

I still don't know my way round the code base very well, but today I
have been having a look at PhotoView, QueryView and PhotoImageView. It
seems to me that a CompareView class might be similar to PhotoView, but
obviously with the ability to handle more than one image.

They way I thought it might work is by having the user select two or
more thumbnails from the main window in icon view and then either click
a button (similar to switching to photo view now) or select a context
menu. This would change to a new view with the selected photos arranged
in a tile format (similar to expose in OS X).

I'm sure this is something that people have probably thought about
before - maybe even started work on?

Another thing I have been thinking about is a virtual light table
similar to what Apple have done in Aperture, but one thing at a time I
guess!

Thoughts?

Cheers,
James Fitzsimons