Re: sharing the database

On 12/18/05, John Russell <jjrussell gmail com> wrote:
> On 12/17/05, Brian J. Murrell <brian interlinx bc ca> wrote:
> > I have just been taking my first look at f-spot.  It looks pretty cool.
> > I did notice something right away though.  Being able to categorize
> > photos with tags is really cool, but in our family we have a shared
> > repository for photos.  Several people can view and add photos to it and
> > it would be nice if when one person tags a photo, all can share in that
> > tagging.
>

> Aren't the tags now stored in the exif metadata for the jpeg file?
> This seems like the idea situation to where the metadata goes wherever
> the file goes, like mp3s.

I don't any better idea, but that's not quite true. The ID3 tag on a
MP3 file contains the information about the file - that's why it
should go with it. But the tags I choose for my photos aren't always
"part of the file". It can get odd if you'd import some sunshine
wallpaper into F-Spot and get a new tag named "Trip to Europe".

The EXIF contains stuff that are part of the image - camera settings,
date, etc'. But the tags are much more "personal" than that. It's like
adding a "Rating" field to the ID3 of a music file - is it really its
place?

I'm not sure what's the right way, but this one seems not-quite-right to me.

Yo'av.