Re: [Evolution-hackers] ... and how camel should be

On Tue, 2006-02-14 at 10:47 +0530, Parthasarathi Susarla wrote:
> Hiya,
>
> On Mon, 2006-02-13 at 22:38 +0100, Philip Van Hoof wrote:
> > On Mon, 2006-02-13 at 15:10 -0500, Jeffrey Stedfast wrote:
> > > This would take several years to implement - likely to require complete
> > > rewrites of at least some of the providers.
> > >
> > > I don't really see this happening anytime soon.
> >
> > What about the disk summary branch?
> Hmm... Yes, it exists, as Michael wrote it, never been tested and worked
> on since then. I have just started some work on it - to get it merged
> with the HEAD (once we branch for 2-14), and i shall keep it posted
> here, whenever it happens.
> The details of the branch are here
> http://go-evolution.org/On-disk_summaries (written by NotZed)
>

> > Will this branch have likewise functionality?
>
> The disk summaries branch does something on those lines, but it also
> means a lot of disk I/O than before, and only after prolonged
> testing/usage would we now how well it would work.

and a significant amount of work bugfixing and implementing things
NotZed never got around to doing... like, oh, say, rewriting the imap
provider from scratch because it will be impossible to simply make a few
minor changes to make the current imap implementation use the new
interfaces.

This is why NotZed started playing around with IMAPX, but that code is
so far from being complete, even if you were to take that up and run
with it it'd be almost like starting from scratch. It's also unlikely
you'd just be able to pick it up and run with it because the design is
non-trivial.

Like I said earlier, you're looking at years worth of work to do all
this and it's not even known if the performance will be acceptable.

Don't get me wrong, I think NotZed's disksummary design ideas are cool
and all, but I don't think it can become a priority.

And certainly not worth jumping into without a more detailed design.
NotZed left us with ideas and a basic design, but it'd have to be
flushed out quite a bit to address a number of gaps before you go
jumping head first into this.

--
Jeffrey Stedfast
Evolution Hacker - Novell, Inc.