Re: [Evolution-hackers] Exchange 5.5 - network reverse engineering underway (MAPI, Nspi)

On Tue, 2005-02-01 at 20:16 -0500, JP Rosevear wrote:
> On Tue, 2005-02-01 at 19:58 +0100, Jules Colding wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > Why dont you use MAPI directly in Evolution? Well not MAPI itself, but
> > the CORBA wrapper for MAPI (www.omesc.com).
>
> Well reason one is I hadn't heard of it until now :-).
>
> Reason two might be this comment from the evolution plugin skeleton in
> the brutus download:
>
> A Brutus server must be running on the Windows side if you
> want to use this plugin. Please see <http://www.omesc.com/>
> for the details.
>
> This makes it sound like you need a mapi implementation on a windows box
> somewhere.

Yes, Brutus wraps MAPI at the server end. Maybe not at the Exchange
server but at a server with the correct MAPI dll at least.

So Brutus does presently only facilitate access to Exchange servers from
5.5 onwards by wrapping MAPI in CORBA, it is not a free reimplementation
of MAPI.

--
  jules