Re: [Evolution-hackers] NTLM stuff

On søn, 2004-05-16 at 22:25 -0400, Rodney Dawes wrote:
> > Would it perhaps be a good idea to split the ntlm related stuff into a
> > library to be maintained and packaged separately? That way, the openldap
> > <-> evolution interdependency is gone, which would be nice for the
> > different distributions.
> What interdependency?

Currently, to use the connector, you need a pactched version of openldap
that depends on evolution to do the actual NTLM stuff (at least thats
what the doc says). That's a interdependency in my book. :-) True, I was
speaking under the inpression that the connector would go into the stock
Evolution. Just substitute "connector" for "evolution" in my original
post, and we should agree, right?

>  It is required
> for the evolution-exchange package, because, I believe, we use LDAP to
> connect to the Exchange address book on the server. This requires NTLM
> authentication, which is not in stock OpenLDAP, and thus requires the
> NTLM patch to be applied.

I can't remember off the top of my head where I read it, but I believe
that the patch to OpenLDAP merely puts hooks into it to call the actual
NTLM functions inside Evolution. These are the functions that I'm
proposing be moved outside of Evolution so that an NTLM-enabled version
of OpenLDAP wouldn't depend on Evolution.

> I would agree that the patch needs to go upstream into OpenLDAP, but
> doing so would not remove any dependency on it for Exchange support.

Oh, no. I don't expect Evolution to stop depending on OpenLDAP. Just the
other way around.

--
Salu2, Søren (wannabe Evolution hacker).