Re: [Evolution-hackers] branding

Hi Jon ~

On Wed, 2004-03-31 at 14:01 -0500, William Jon McCann wrote:
> I hope this isn't too controversial...

Surprisingly this can be.  There have been a number of discussions on
the desktop-devel-list.

> Changes might include:
>   - "Ximian Evolution" -> "Evolution"

There has been discussion on this in particular. [1]

I would recommend something like this:

The Application Name:

	Ximian Evolution Groupware

The Generic Name:

	Groupware Suite

As "Evolution" is just branding and we are really looking for names that
describe the tasks the application handles.  Like Epiphany getting the
name "Web Browser".

>   - Ximian about dialog -> GNOMEish about dialog

I suppose would have to happen according to HIG rules, although I like
their help dialog :-)

>   - Removing the advertisement for Connector in the help file

The advertisement would have to go.  That could be a patch applied to
the XD.

>   - changing ximian.com URLs to gnome.org

This is probably a tricky situation as ximian has their own bug, mailing
list, and cvs server already and the transitions would be tough.  I
believe the desktop-devel-list talked this also not too long ago.

> This has two benefits in my view.  First, it keeps GNOME brand-free.
> Second, it makes the branding more meaningful when it is only included
> in an Official Novell/Ximian build.
>
> Is there a GNOME policy on this?

For the .desktop file there is, see the HIG [2]

> What do you think?

I'd say the hardest part are migration issues that will have to be
worked out between the admins of gnome and ximian.  I personally don't
see that everything would have to be moved to GNOME servers, except I
believe that is our policy.  Luckily I don't have to deal with that
part. :-)

~ Bryan

[1] http://mail.gnome.org/archives/desktop-devel-list/2002-September/msg00332.html
[2] http://developer.gnome.org/projects/gup/hig/1.0/desktop-integration.html#menu-item-names