Re: [Evolution-hackers] send/receive

Rodrigo Moya wrote:
On Wed, 2004-12-15 at 21:37 -0500, JP Rosevear wrote:

On Tue, 2004-12-14 at 22:45 +0800, Not Zed wrote:

My first thought is that could make this dialog completely unwieldy, i
personally already have 4 mail accounts plus an NNTP account, if I were
to add my groupwise calendar along with 3-4 web calendars, its now holds
about 10 items.

I was talking on hooking it to the Send/Receive action, not specifically
to the dialog, although it would make sense to show progress in that
dialog for calendars also.

Not going to be terribly easy though, given the way it works, unless
you want to start using camel progress primitives in the calendar :-)

Perhaps its time to not make Send/Receive a global shell routine?
Mailer can still use send/receive, addressbook may not need any and
calendar can do "refresh" or something.

I think this what makes more sense. Although I liked the idea of having
a single 'refresh' button for all components.

My experience supporting evo is that nobody understands what Send/Receive does for anything except for the mail component. I get questions about it a lot. Personally, I think, even the idea of refreshing a calendar or contact list is a bit weird. It should stay updated. If it is useful at all it hardly seems a common/frequent use case. Therefore, it probably doesn't belong on the tool bar. I have never used it even once.

It seems that there are even scenarios in the mail component where it is potentially not really necessary. In online mode with a IMAP mail server that supports IDLE and while using an online SMTP server, would this button actually do anything? Don't actually know if evo supports IDLE yet.

Cheers,
Jon