Re: [Evolution-hackers] PIM application suite

So instead of copying windows we should copy OSX, that what you're
saying?  As it turns out the current shell UI was inspired by a mac app
(albeit a microsoft authored one.)

You have elicited rather strong responses (more from your tone and
attitude than anything content-wise, partly because it's lost in the
noise, and partly because there just isn't much there) from all
developers I'd wager.  We've just got more important things occupying
our time.  fejj is just lucky because the mailer doesn't have as many
bugs as the addressbook/calendar :)

I think you're flat-out wrong wrt the most usable thing always being the
best.  Have you ever heard the "worse is better"[1] mantra?  It works
for things other than code design.  Pragmatism has always been in short
supply for college students.  Migration is a very real issue, and to
discount it so blindly...  And no, it doesn't work to just say "but
we're so much more usable than windows!" because the end result isn't
the issue, and neither is the actual time to retrain - the *perceived*
time to retrain is.  Perceived by the people making the decision to
switch off windows.  Do you want us to instead focus our energy on
trying to get people to migrate off OSX to linux?  That doesn't sound
nearly as compelling from a business perspective.

There are going to be changes in the UI of evolution - it's not like we
were ever planning to stagnate and present the same UI forever.  But as
JPR said, they'll be evolutionary because we can't afford a complete
bottom-up rewrite of everything (the rewriting going on in this release
is more than enough to occupy everyone's time/energy.)  And there are
also manpower issues with splitting up the product so much.  Just the
e-d-s/evo split has caused several developer workloads to increase.

--

Now don't take this the wrong way, but you do realize that you're being
antagonistic, insulting, and more than a little bit annoying don't you?

cheers,
Chris

[1] http://www.jwz.org/doc/worse-is-better.html